Get Ready for Flu Jab Season – Helpful tips for GP Surgeries
Posted on: 13th Aug 2019
Every year, GP Surgeries prepare themselves for the annual flu jab or vaccinations, which must be stored safely according to the manufacturer’s instructions usually between +2 °c to +8°c. It’s a carefully orchestrated, precision process. The issues are generally a large influx of medicines for temporary storage, in addition to usual stocks. Vaccines may require transportation which offers a host of separate issues surrounding vaccine storage at the required temperature.
Here are some tips for consideration to ensure your GP practice is prepared this year.
* Is your fridge(s) working properly? It could be that you bring out the spare medical fridge(s) for the ‘flu season’ – now is the time to check all fridges are working correctly.
* Record fridge temperature before adding new stocks of vaccines. If other users notice a ‘spike’ in fridge temperature readings they won’t know when it happened which could cause unnecessary concern about the cold chain integrity.
* Do you have adequate medical fridge storage to safely store ordered vaccines? Air cannot circulate properly around a fridge stuffed full of vaccines. This could impact on temperature read outs and vaccine safety. Tip: Consider purchase of a larger/additional fridge, or a portable fridge.
* Is your secondary thermometer monitoring device, calibrated? Tip: Read our guide on types and usage
* Ensure your fridge is calibrated annually. Tip: Look for the manufacturer’s own calibration service, or add your fridge to the list of measuring equipment already calibrated at the Practice.
* Are your Certificates of Calibration valid? Tip: Check that the certificates clearly mention ‘test equipment used is traceable to UKAS standards’.
* Ensure your medical fridge is covered by the manufacturer’s warranty, or extended warranty, to safeguard against costly breakdowns. Tip: Read the small print sometimes not all parts are covered!
* Check the Certificate of Calibration for your medical fridge meets Care Quality Commission inspection requirement.
For further details and advice, please contact Shoreline (UK) Ltd “Customer Services Team”
Shoreline Medical Refrigeration, Littlehampton, West Sussex
Tel: 01903 733877 email@example.com
Refrigeration that’s built to last