VACCINE STORAGE, MEDICAL FRIDGE CALIBRATION – KNOW THE FACTS
5th April 2020
We handle many queries regarding calibration and here are some tips to help you get it right.
The primary objective of your medical fridge is to store medicines/vaccines at a temperature of between +2 °c to +8°c degrees and calibrated annually, in accordance with the NHS Green Book 2013.
- Ensure your refrigerator is calibrated annually. Tip: Look for the manufacturer’s own calibration service, or make sure your refrigerator is added to the list of measuring equipment used by your practice that requires regular calibration.
- When using a secondary thermometer make sure this too is calibrated. Tip: Do you have a secondary thermometer ready if you think your refrigerator temperature is incorrect?
- Ensure your Certificates of Calibration are still valid. Tip: Check that the certificates clearly mention ‘test equipment used is traceable to UKAS standards’.
- Ensure your refrigerator is covered by the manufacturer’s warranty, or extended warranty, to safeguard you from costly breakdowns. Tip: Read the small print sometimes not all parts are covered!
- Check the Certificate of Calibration for your vaccine refrigerator meets Care Quality Commission inspection requirement.
Not answered your query? Call us on 01903 733877 or email email@example.com